Saturday, May 23, 2009

Baron's Carrot Crunch Salmon


I made up the recipe because we had hardly anything in the frig' except some carrots and syrup! It was a fairly regular meal for my wife and I during the colder months. I usually don't eat as much fish from the store in summer, because I have encountered numerous food poisonings from spoiled fish during the summer months, so I usually only cook fish either fresh out of the lake, or when the outside temperature is under 65 degrees. I have not made this dinner since she passed away a few years ago, it is a recipe I had forgot about. This writing about it though has inspired me to cook it soon; I am getting hungry from writing the recipe!....Eric "Baron" Behrenfeld

2 pieces fresh salmon fillets (no skin)
4 carrots
1 cup almond oat cluster cereal
1/2 cup maple syrup
Teaspoon of butter
Glass broiling pan, cutting board, 2 small dishes, chopping knife, mortar and pestle

PREP:
With the mortar and pestle, pulverize cereal into fine granules.
Rinse, peel and chop carrots finely. Put in small dishes to side.
In the microwave, heat 1/2 cup of syrup in measuring cup that has pour spout, melt butter in syrup.

TO COOK:
Rinse and pat dry with paper towel the salmon fillets.
Lightly coat fillets with olive oil (do not use extra virgin, it burns too easily)
Place oiled fillets in glass broiling pan.
Broil fillets in preheated oven on high, cook until firm and a touch brown, then flip over.
Turn broiler down to medium. Do not overcook! Salmon gets very dry when it's well done.
Slide fillets out and put a 1/4" layer of chopped carrots on top.
Lightly sprinkle the pulverized almond cereal over the carrots.
Broil until browned to taste.
Remove fillets to warm serving plates and drizzle with a little hot syrup butter mixutre. Terrific with fresh steamed asparagus spears, use extra syrup for the asparagus!

YUM!


Eric "Baron" Behrenfeld
www.barondrums.com

No comments: